Tavernier – Firefighters extinguished a fire in a pool house / laundry room at the Ocean Pointe Condominium complex in Tavernier at 1:30 p.m. Monday.
When Deputy Derek Paul arrived on the scene, the building was engulfed in smoke and flames. An employee of the condo complex told him he’d seen smoke and, when he went inside to check on it, he’d seen a dryer and a box next to it on fire. He said he tried to put the fire out, but the smoke and heat were overwhelming, so he exited the building and notified the General manager, who called 911 for help.
Firefighters from Tavernier, Islamorada and Key Largo responded and extinguished the fire. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was notified.