On February 15, 2013 the Special Investigations Division conducted an operation checking businesses that sell alcohol in the Upper Keys. Seventeen businesses were checked including restaurants, convenience stores and bars. Two of the businesses served alcohol to minors during the investigation. The two people were given notices to appear before a Monroe County Judge.
The following are a list of the businesses and suspects who sold the alcohol:
· Walgreens 99501 Overseas highway Key Largo, Fl – 66 year old Carlos Ruiz Hernandez was issued a notice to appear in court.
· Bill’s Liquor store 91400 Overseas Hwy Islamorada, Fl – 48 year oldKim Pravata was issued a notice to appear in court.
The Sales Clerk violations are punishable with up to 60 days in jail, a $500 fine, $235 in court costs, $75 in the cost of prosecution, and $40 in the cost of investigation.
The Licensee Violations are:
· 1st offense $1000 fine and 7 day suspension
· 2nd offense $3000 fine and 30 day suspension
· 3rd offense Revocation of license.The remaining businesses checked, were in compliance with the law.
This operation was conducted in cooperation with the Monroe County Coalition for a Safe and Drug Free Community.