The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will be holding its next Citizen’s Police Academies starting in May and we are looking for people who are interested in learning more about law enforcement and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.
Classes will begin May 6th and will continue through graduation the week of June 24th. There will be three separate academies held during that time – in the Lower, Middle and Upper Keys. Attendees will be asked to commit to spending one night a week between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. They will also be asked to participate in at least one ride-along with a deputy during the academy period.
- In the Upper Keys, classes will meet every Tuesday at the Roth Building on Plantation Key.
- In the Middle Keys, classes will meet every Wednesday at the Sheriff’s Office Aviation Hanger in Marathon.
- In the Lower Keys, classes will meet every Thursday at the Sheriff’s Headquarters building on Stock Island.
“If you have always wanted to know more about law enforcement this is a terrific opportunity,” said Sheriff Rick Ramsay. “We’ve held academies like this for the past two years and everyone who attended them really enjoyed themselves. We don’t just stand in a classroom and lecture; you will have the opportunity to have a hands-on law enforcement experience if you attend one of these academies,” he said.
Classes will include:
- An orientation and introduction to patrol procedures
- A tour of one of the jail facilities
- Introduction to weapons: simunitions and Taser
- Traffic / Felony stops
- Crime Scene Investigations, including a hands on mock crime scene
- Building searches
- Introduction to specialty units: SWAT, Bomb, Dive, Major Crimes and Special Investigations
Space is limited, so anyone who is interested should contact the captain in the area where they wish to attend.
- Upper Keys: Captain Don Fanelli, 305-853-3211 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Captain Corey Bryan, 305-664-6480 or email@example.com
- Middle Keys: Captain Gene Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org or Lt. Derek Paul, email@example.com , 305-289-2430.
- Lower Keys: Captain Don Hiller, 305-745-3184 or firstname.lastname@example.org