A total of sixteen businesses were checked including restaurants, convenience stores and bars. Eleven of the businesses complied with the law; five of the businesses were not in compliance and served alcohol to a minor during the checks. The five clerks who sold the alcohol were issued notices to appear before a Monroe County judge.
The following are a list of the Businesses, and attendants who sold the alcohol to a minor:
• Walgreen’s - 99501 Overseas Highway, Key Largo. Attendant: David E. Dimmel, 62 years of age.
• Speedway (Hess) - 99601 Overseas Highway, Key Largo. Attendant: Guetyms K. Pierre, 21 years of age.
• Valero Gas - 99675 Overseas Highway, Key Largo. Attendant: Cherrelle D. Herron, 31 years of age.
• Marathon Gas - 98210 Overseas Highway, Key Largo. Attendant: Surama M. Diaz Cabrero, 35 years of age
• Payfair Supermarket – 90164 Overseas Highway, Tavernier. Attendant: Margaret M. Courtney, 66 years of age
The Sale Clerk violations are punishable by up to 60 days in jail, a $500.00 fine, $235.00 in court cost, $75.00 in cost of prosecution, and $40.00 in cost of investigation. The Licensee Violations are punishable by:
1st-Offense $1000 fine and 7 day suspension.
2nd-Offense $3000 fine and 30 day suspension.
3rd-Offense Revocation of license.
This operation was conducted in cooperation with the Monroe County Coalition for a Safe and Drug Free Community.